The school was built in 1856, at the cost of £100. It was built by the Mining Company of Ireland. Research tells us that the first teacher to teach here was a Miss Anastice Moroney, aged twenty-one years. It was built of stone and mortar; walls were plastered and floors tiled. It was slated also. The room measurements were 20′ X 18′ X 14′, and the furniture consisted of four desks and five forms. The building still stands at teh cross of Mardyke, on the road leading to Killenaule.
Earlier records show that there was an older school house in Mardyke, this was probably a mudhouse school or a private school, taught by Mr. Michael Reidy.
A report from 1853 mentions the measurements as 37′ X 18′ X 14′ with 156 males and 92 females in attendance.
This school closed in 1948.
– The History & Folklore of Killenaule/Moyglass 1990